What is dividend cover?
Dividend cover provides investors with a measure of a companies ability to pay it's dividend. The higher the cover, the safer is the dividend in theory.
It is a straightforward formula.
Earnings per share divided by dividends per share.
Alternatively it is known as the payout ratio.
In the Investor tools products, the dividend cover is the 1 year forward dividend cover.
By this it is meant the forecast Earnings per share for the current financial year divided by the Dividend forecast for the current financial year.
Dividend cover can also be measured historically by dividing the prevoius years earnings by the previous years dividend.
In recent years there has been a general move to aim for a dividend cover of around 2x. This is regarded as an efficient use of capital.
- What is the PE ratio?
- How can I find cheap shares?
- How is the dividend yield calculated?
- What's the difference between dividend yield and annualized yield?
- What is Market Cap?
- What does Mark-to-Market mean?
- What is day trading?
- What is a dividend?
- Forecast dividend Increase
- What does "Ex-Dividend" mean?
- Consecutive Annual Dividend Increases
- What is the OptimizerMax tool?
- What is the CountdownMax tool?
- What is the GeneratorMax Tool?
- What does cum dividend mean?
- The FTSE Quarterly Review
- What is the record date?
- What is Dividend Declaration?
- What is DRIP?
- An overview of dividend dates
- What is an ETF?
- What does CAGR stand for
- What are futures?
- What are Options?
- What does Fiduciary Duty mean?
- What is Shorting?
- What does going long mean?
- What is a share split?
- What is a Long-only fund?
- What is a long-Short fund?
- What is a rights issue?
- What is a share buyback?
- What is a Government Bond?
- What is a corporate bond?
- What is an ISA?
- What is the bid price?
- What is the offer price?
- What does Blue chip mean?
- What is the spreadbetting series?
- What is the spreadbetting price?
- What is the spreadbetting dividend?
- What is the spreadbetting level?
- What is the spreadbetting margin factor?
- what is the spreadbetting margin requirement?
- What is the spreadbetting yield?
- What is an IMS?
- Why does the FTSE 100 list more than 100 shares?