- Generated strong operating cash flow of $8.5 billion and underlying earnings of $5.1 billion.
- Achieved $1.6 billion of pre-tax sustainable operating cash cost improvements.
- Investing in three major growth projects in bauxite, copper and iron ore.
- Optimising the portfolio with disposals of $1.3 billion announced or completed in 2016 and up to
$2.45 billion announced to date in 2017.
- Strengthened the balance sheet further with net debt reduced to $9.6 billion.
- Returning cash to shareholders with $3.6 billion announced with respect to 2016:
full year dividend of 170 US cents per share, equivalent to $3.1 billion.
share buy-back of $0.5 billion in Rio Tinto plc shares over the course of 2017.
in total, represents 70 per cent of 2016 underlying earnings.